I saw this shirt on pinterest and thought it was cute. I wanted to try to replicate it somewhat. I was just waiting for the right ingredients to come along.
A neighbor recently gave me this shirt. I am not a much for sequins, so this was a great candidate for refashion. I used the seam ripper to take off the sleeves and the pocket.
I thought my scraps from my recent poncho refashion would work in a pinch. I sewed it onto the front. I did this somewhat hastily. I could have taken more time with this. The rectangle could have been a little smaller and I should have stabilized the shirt before I appliquéd it. Either way, it's done now.
It's not the exact look I was going for and I really should have used the stabilizer to keep it from puckering around the edges. That is what I think bugs me the most. I had a lot of projects going on at once and I didn't want to spend too much time on this one. I do like how it came out enough that I will wear it. This is a good reminder for me to recognize when I'm getting hasty with my work and learn to put down the scissors and walk away from the sewing machine. When I get in that mode of trying to hurry through something is when I make the most mistakes. It's better to take a break and come back to it when you aren't feeling the need to rush though something. Even with a little extra love, this shirt probably wouldn't have been much different, so I'm ok with it. It looked a bit better when I ironed it (I was hasty taking the pictures, too). If the right shirt comes along again I might try this again with yarn, like it was done in the original inspiration picture. I can see this with a pair of jean shorts or pants. Good for a beach shirt and casual wear. It will be interesting to see how it handles the wash. It might give it a bit more character and hide my puckering mistake if it frays at the ends. We will see!