Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fun With My Serger - Knit Shirt, Refashioned Sweater, and Rasta Sweater Dress

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been having a great time playing with my new serger machine.  I pulled out anything knit or stretch I could find that needed sewing and ran it through.  I still can't get over how much faster I can put a garment together on that versus the regular machine. 

This shirt below is the last of the vintage fabrics I had originally cut up and designated to patterns.  Originally, this was supposed to be a button up shirt for my son, but I don't think he really liked it all that much.  I had some issues with this piece.  I had cut it so long ago and I believe (like many of the other pieces I cut from the vintage fabric way back then) I did a very hasty and sloppy job.  The pieces were a bit uneven and the collar was a little small .... I didn't let it stop me, though.  I just tweaked the design a little and turned it into a funky button up top for me instead.  Where I really went wrong was adding the pockets.  They are off symmetry or something.  As soon as I added the second one I wasn't loving the shirt anymore.  Anyway, it's finished and it felt great to complete all the garments I had cut for myself to sew.  They aren't all the best pieces, but the more I practice, the better they get.  Can't beat having free fabric to practice with.


Here is the pattern I used.  I had originally cut it for pattern A in the boys size.

Here's what I ended up with.




Eh.  It's ok.  I'll wear it, but it's definitely not a "wow" piece.  I keep trying to mess around with the collar and press it differently to make the shirt look more even.  

I also had an old hoodie sweater I just couldn't part with even though I never wear it.  I figured I'd try a refashion of it and see if I could make into something I will wear again.

Here is the sweater before.  This is me, post baby, eight years ago.  This was my first time going out for a drink after having Bayne.  I think he was about 3 months old.  I was going to suck it up and give him formula for the first time, too.  Pump and dump! :)  Cheers ... lol!

Obviously this sweater has been around a while.

Here it is now as more of a fitted 80's sweater vest.  I cut off the hood and the sleeves and just left it raw.  I had to undo the bottom band, took in the sides, then re-attached the band after altering to fit the sized down sweater.  I'm digging it.  We will see if it gets more time out of the drawer.


I had some left over knit sweater fabric from the rasta shirt I made.  I decided to make a rasta tube dress, mainly just to use as a practice piece for the serger.  I didn't use a pattern, just threw it together.   I don't know if it will get a ton of wear, but it was a good piece to use as practice.  I suppose if a reggae show comes to town this will be a great dress to wear.  Leggings are a must, though.  It ended up being very short.


I don't know ... do you think it's wearable?  Cute, silly?  I'm on the fence.  It is very comfy, I will say that.  My little girl seems to like snuggling me while I'm in it :). 



I have one more refashion waiting for the serger and sewing machine.  I am hoping I can whip through most of it tomorrow morning.  

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment