Wednesday, June 12, 2013

When In Doubt, Wear Red

 Every girl needs a good red dress.  

I stumbled upon this red and gold vintage fabric that was in my stash recently and I had to make something cute with it.  


I have been waiting to get this Cynthia Rowley pattern forever!  It finally went on sale for $3, so I picked it up.  I didn't have enough fabric to make the full, pleated skirt, but I love the bodice, so I improvised.




I used bodice "C" from the Cynthia Rowley pattern and used the skirt pattern from the New Look pattern below.  Since it only requires gathering, rather than pleats it doesn't require as much fabric.




I love both patterns and I really want to make a complete dress from the Cynthia Rowley pattern above.  With the skirt pleating it has such a cute retro look.  I'm glad I had this test run, though.  I think I cut for size 8 and it totally did not leave me enough room at the waist to bring the ends together in the back. 

Here it is on:


 I had to alter the back with additional fabric scraps to make it fit.  I was worried I had wasted my beautiful vintage fabric for a moment, but I was able to pull it off.  So proud of myself!  I think my favorite part about the dress is my mistake now because I was able to figure out how to salvage it.


Can you tell I added on in the center back around the zipper? 

I even made a cute matching wristlet.  I want to start making a matching wristlet with every dress I make.  I love it!



I like how it came out.  It love mixing patterns, too.  I think this will be a really versatile dress.  I can dress it up to be fancy or dress it down to casual.  

"When in doubt, wear red." ~Bill Blass

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem at the waist with a dress I made and I think my addition at the back makes it prettier. I can't believe I have never thought to make a matching bag!

    ReplyDelete