Thursday, August 16, 2012

Shirt to Skirt Refashion

The kids and I have been enjoying the beautiful, sunny weather we have been having.  Yesterday we went to the pool.  I slipped on a skirt that I recently made from a shirt and I realized I never added that to my "portfolio" (aka: blog).  

Once upon a time I had a mens shirt in black and gold, otherwise identical to the one below.


Then I had a pair of scissors and one more black shirt.  I started cutting, sewing, and pinning onto my dress form.  And now I have the perfect little beach/pool cover up!

Here is the finished project - shirt to skirt:

Front


Side


Back


I realize it is hard to see the patchwork, so here is a little better view of the front.  Very raw, but I like it.  It's not meant for out on the town, just for playing in the sand :)


Hope you like it!  Now I have to figure out what I am going to do with it's twin in grey and black .... hmmmmm.....

4 comments:

  1. I love this, its a great refashion. I would love to see a step by step tutorial. This is great work. I like your blog, I'm your new follower. I can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kasey! I need to get better about that. I generally grab the scissors and pins when the mood strikes me and start cutting and then half way through think ... "D'oh! The camera!" The method I use to make these is to just pick where I want the image and cut off the sleeves and neck and figure out how I want it to lay out. I pin it to the dress form and just start cutting. Then I cut up more t-shirts and add them to it where it needs filling in, pinning as I go. I hand sew all the pieces together first and then take it off the dress form and move it to the sewing machine and then pull out all the hand stitching. I want to do something with the other shirt in grey. I will try to remember to grab the camera before I reach for the scissors :)

    ReplyDelete