Saturday, November 23, 2013

Novelty Print Winter Holiday Dress

I have yet to make myself a Christmas dress. 

I know, I find that surprising, too.

I have made a couple Christmas skirts to match with Aubrey.  Like this cute, blue, snowflake matching outfit we have on here.  I still have this skirt (I had to take it in a little) and I made a larger dress for Aubrey, so we can still rock our winter wonderland look together for a few more years.


I also made these crazy candy cane skirts to match with Bayne for one of his hip hop recitals.


It's worth showing off the back of Bayne's shirt.  I did his angel wings with freezer paper and gold glitter fabric paint.  The song they danced to was "Halo", by Beyonce.  He was the only boy and they didn't have a costume for him, so this is what I came up with.  He was so little and so cute!


Ok, back to me and my first handmade Christmas dress.

I was given this cool, starry night, Christmas tree fabric.  I love the blue, the subtle red highlights in the bushes, and the crescent moon.  The trees, the snow, the stars … ok I love pretty much everything about this fabric.  Especially that it was free!  I should tell you that I am a sucker for novelty fabric.  I don't care that it may be a little young to wear cute prints.  I think they are fun and playful.  I guess that would be the definition of young.  I may not be "young" per say, but I am young at heart and I like to be a little young in fashion, too.  If you can't be playful with your clothes, then why even get dressed.  Am I right? :) 


I pictured this being a 3/4 sleeve, button up dress.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough yardage to pull that off, especially with the one directional print.  I dug through my stash of patterns and this was the best I could find to work with.  I went for pattern D, since I haven't tried that cut yet.  I figure it can be worn with tights and a cardigan in the winter and still look pretty cute, even though it is more of a summery style dress.


Here is my first handmade Christmas/Winter dress for me all finished!


I threw a little red belt around it and some dark blue tights.


Add the cardigan sweater for some warmth.  I like how the bodice top still peaks out of the collar a little.  I like to wear it with my red Toms.  


I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  I think I will be wearing this one quite a bit this season!  

Just a side note, I noticed that this was my 100th post.  Kinda cool!  I guess that means I have made at least 100 things since I started this blog.  Although, I feel a little lame at times for having this blog, I am glad I started it.  Mostly, I like having all my creations in one place for easy reference.  That way if I ever want to use a pattern again I can check back on here for notes or tips on ways to avoid mistakes or make it better.  I wish I could be as cool as some of the fashion bloggers out there that take the time to go out and capture beautiful images of their creations on them out in the world.  I have a hard enough time getting a picture in my room.  I've never been one for being in front of the camera.  I figure if I can wear it outside into the world, then I can suck it up and take a quick picture to share with everyone.

Thanks for keeping up with me and my work!!  




No comments:

Post a Comment