Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cleaning (Covering) Up My Sewing Space

We live in a very tiny apartment.  There isn't much space for anything and I definitely don't have a sewing room.  My closet (there is only 1 teeny tiny one for 3 of us to share) has basically become a fabric storage area and my sewing area has found it's home under the window in the kitchen.  It isn't ideal, but we make it work.  Aside from the fabric, I've managed to put most of my sewing supplies, books, and machines in this area.  The industrial sewing machine takes up a lot of room.  I hide random things under there (emergency water, paperwork, magazines, and a change jar).  I use the shelf next to it to hold office supplies, books, cutting tools, etc.  In the plastic bin I have the children's art supplies.  The only problem is it is such an eye sore.  I am a very clean person.  I like a clean house, but I am not the most organized.  I hate being reminded of this every time I walk into the kitchen.  I decided it was time to address (hide) this issue.  Here is my sewing area before:


It makes me want to pull my hair out just looking at it.  

I dug through my stash of fabric and decided on a couple that would match(ish).  I measured them to fit and hemmed them.  For the shelf, I bought a tension rod and sewed the fabric as I would a curtain.  I slid the fabric onto the rod and stuck it inside the shelf and now the mess is hidden!  For the sewing table, I took a long piece of thin velcro and super glued it to the table.  I had to use scotch tape to hold it in place until it dried.  I sewed the other half of the velcro onto the top of the fabric piece I had prepared.  Once it was dry, I stuck it on and it worked like a charm!  
Doesn't it look much nicer now?


Now I have the illusion of clean and organized.  Just don't look behind the curtain :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment