Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!! Homemade Costume Fun!

My kids picked some pretty obscure costumes this year.  I don't usually make their costumes, but this year I didn't have much of a choice.  I did my best to not purchase anything to make them.  I used what fabric I had to make Aubrey's.  For Bayne, I only had to buy the fleece to make his cloak, which I luckily found for 50% off on the remnant rack at Joanns.

My daughter wanted to be Goku from Dragon ball.


I had a bunch of this shimmery orange fabric and some blue polyester my MIL recently sent me, which would work perfectly.  I just sorta winged it and here is what I came up with:


For the hair, I bought a headband off the target $1 rack, colored it black with a sharpie, and attached black fleece to the bottom because she is very sensitive about things on her head.  Then I cut out and glued on some black poster board in the shape of his crazy hair.  It was the best I could come up with, but I think it works enough for one day.


Here is my little Goku in full character:



Here she is at the Halloween Parade at school today.  Clearly having a blast!


I love my little party animal!!

My son went even more obscure, but I give him props for creativity.  He wanted to be Gaius, a character from his favorite video game, Fire Emblem Awakening.  Gaius is a candy thief, which I thought was very fitting for Halloween.  I really worked hard on his costume.  He is super stoked on how it came out.  Here is the picture of Gaius I used to work off of:


I started with a pair of Aubrey's old, torn, stained, too small leggings.  



I hacked them up to shape them into his arm bands.  I just cut a hole for the thumb.  I ended up sewing elastic into the top of the arm bands, so they would stay up because they were falling down a bit.


For his tank top I used two of the three shirts shown here:


I cut the sleeves off of the black shirt.  Then cut off the back of the grey and laid it over the top of the black shirt.


I sewed around it and then trimmed off the excess grey.


The back of the black shirt had some writing, which I covered with a strip of grey from the other shirt.


Then I made him the little vest, harness, candy holder thing out of some duck fabric and fake leather I had.  I used black binding to finish the armholes, black webbing to create the belt straps he has on the vest to hold the candy, and D-rings to fasten them into place.


Then I made him a cloak out of the black fleece I bought.  
Here is a little peek at the progress:


He needed some candy accessories, so I dug through my scraps and made him this lollipop.  I braided strips of red, orange, and yellow fabric and sewed them together.  I hot glued a chopstick to the back along with a strip of fabric to cover and help hold it into place.


I used felt to create the bear lollipop, plus the other half of the chopstick.


I found this striped fabric in my scraps, which I figured would work for the smarties he carries.  I sewed it and stuffed it with fiberfill.  I then cut off the bottom of a ziplock bag, wrapped it up and tied it with some hair bands.


And I also made him a headband with a strip of the fleece I had for the cloak.  
Here he is all finished:




He went by too fast during the parade, but I caught up with him and his buddy after.  He LOVES this costume!  He keeps telling me he is going to brag to all his friends about how I made it for him. 
:)  


I have received several hugs, kisses, and thank you's from the kids for these creations.  I had fun testing my pattern making abilities making these.  I am so happy they came out as well as they did.  I am looking forward to taking these kids out on the town tonight! 

I'm planning on dressing up tonight, too.  I always do, but I've been a little boring the last few years.  I've been a generic witch.  It's time to kick it up a notch.  I don't know if anyone will know who I am, but that's ok.  I'm going to be Tina from Bob's Burgers:


Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of me in it just yet.  This morning I did dress up for the kids Halloween Parade.  I wasn't brave enough to go as Tina, but I always like to do something.  I was one of three parents (in the ENTIRE school) who wore a costume, so I think it was the right decision.  I wore my devil horns and my Tina wig.  No one recognized me, it was so funny!  I kept freaking people out :).  I took Sippi, for a walk with her angel wings this morning, too.


She had her eyes on a squirrel … maybe she should have been the devil … lol.

I love Halloween!!!  It's fun to get a chance to be silly, dress up, and have fun.  I'll always be a kid at heart!

Happy Halloween!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment