Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Card That Keeps On Giving!

Does anyone else feel like buying cards for people for birthdays or holidays is a bit of a waste?  Most of the time they end up in the garbage and even if they are saved, they are never really looked at again.

We were invited to a first birthday party today.  The son of a friend of mine.  What a special day to be a part of!  I remember how important that day was to me for both of my kids.  I didn't want to buy your basic Happy 1st Birthday card for him, I mean, the kid can't even read yet and he will probably never even see it.  I didn't want to just throw a hasty gift tag on the gift either because 1) It's lazy 2) It's his 1st birthday = special! 3) I am kinda known for being crafty, so I really should pull something a little more creative out of my arse than scribbling "to and from" on a piece of paper and shoving it in a recycled gift bag.


In a recent issue of my new favorite magazine Stitch (sorry Oprah, I still love you, though!) they had a super cute fabric card idea that is right up my alley!  I love doing fabric art pieces and appliqué designs, so this was a perfect fit.  They had an owl and deer card as their example, but I had a really cute idea for a design, so I gave it a whirl and now I think I am addicted!  Here is what I came up with for the birthday boy!



His parents love camping and I thought this would be a cute boyish scene.  Inside I wrote "Hope you are a happy camper on your birthday!"  It's just appliqué that I hand sewed on.  My hand sewing is a bit choppy because I fell asleep working on it the night before and had to sew my little fingers off just to finish it in time for the party - D'OH!  I don't think it matters, though, because it has a raw, organic feel to it anyway.  Then you glue it on to a piece of card stock that is fold in half and viola!


You have a beautiful card that is sure to not get thrown in the garbage.  It can be framed or even placed on a shelf for decoration.  Plus it is so nice and textured even the little birthday boy can touch, feel, and appreciate it more than a store bought paper card.

I love how this turned out so much I think I am going to start working on a fabric birthday card for my mom tonight.  Her birthday is tomorrow, but I won't be seeing her until Thanksgiving, so at least I won't have to rush this card as much.  :)  I haven't thought of what the scene will be, but she loves the beach, so I'm thinking ocean ... we will see.  She is NOT a camper, though, so this design is not an option.  :)

Super fun, super cute, super special!  I know I would love receiving a one of a kind fabric card for my birthday!  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment