Summer is over and school is back in. Somehow we survived it all. Now it's time to get back to work!
I did a quick t-shirt refashion, so I can stay a part of the Refashion Co-op blog group that I participate in. I picked this slightly too big and stained t-shirt to work with. I didn't get a before pic of it on, but it is just your regular shirt that was headed for the PJ drawer because of the size and stain. It is just a little too cute for that, though, so refashion to the rescue!
You can see the stains on the arms of the t-shirt. It was on the back of both sleeves and some of the side of the shirt, so those pieces had to go.
I took an another tank top (This was a refashion, also. It used to be a mens t-shirt) and used it to draw my pattern, leaving some allowance for the seam.
Now I have my tank top shape.
I serged the side seams together first and tried it on for fit.
I took the scraps from the sides of the shirt and used them to finish the armholes and neckline. I also saved the finished hem from the bottom of the shirt to add on at the end.
I folded the strips in half and serged them first. Then I measured them to the arm and neck hole and sewed them into a circle that is the correct size for each hole. I pinned them to the right side of the shirt and serged around it.
I pressed the seam to the inside. Here is a look at the first finished armhole.
I did that for the other arm and neckline. I did basically the same thing for the bottom. I took the existing hemline that I had cut off, created a circle that fit the measurements of the bottom of the shirt, and then serged it back on. I pressed all of the seams toward the inside of the shirt and then sewed them down with a straight stitch to hold them in place.
Here is a blurry view:
Now for the finished product:
Way more fitted, flattering, wearable, and cute!
Another t-shrit was saved from the dreaded PJ drawer.
(There's no room in there anyway!!)
This was a very successful refashion rescue mission, I believe.