Monday, November 5, 2012

I'd Rather Be Boarding

It's been a while since I've posted anything.  Foolishly, I thought the kids starting back at school would free up some time for me to sew ... HA!  I've been more busy than ever. Aubrey only goes for 3 1/2 hours, so it doesn't leave me with tons of free time. Between preparing food, taking kids back and forth to school, squeezing in shopping and laundry during school hours,  and all the extra stuff we do after school (hip hop/piano lessons/play dates/homework/etc), the days just fill up and fly by.

 I should be honest, though.  Now that school is in,  I do use many of my 3 1/2 hours of freedom to do something for ME.  As much as I do love to sew, one of my other passions is working out.  I love to exercise and stay fit.  My most favorite way to do this aside from lifting weights and walking is to body board.  I just love it!  Unfortunately, I did not get to do much of it this summer, when you would expect me to.  With school out, I have the kids all but a few days for those 2 1/2 months, which means no body boarding for Mama.  The kids aren't old enough for me to be able to leave them on the sand and paddle out just yet, so I spend most of my time in the sand or shallow water jumping the waves.  Which I also love to do.


Since school has started, my body board, wax, and fins have a permanent spot in the back of my truck and the surf report is my morning news.  If there are waves, I try to get myself down there at least two to three times a week or more if possible.  I probably should be sewing, or cleaning, or doing something around the house, but I NEED the break.  More importantly, I DESERVE it.  I work really hard and even Mom's need to do something for themselves, to fill their cup, to make their heart happy. For me ... that is body boarding.  Something about a morning spent in the water catching waves makes a tremendous difference on my attitude, my day, my life!  I always feel fantastic when I get out of the water.  Best natural high there is.  I've been in love with it since I was a child.  I tried surfing for a while when I was in Jr High and again as an adult, but my true love is body boarding.  I got my first body board when I was 5 years old.  My mom kept us at the beach all summer long.  I spent the entire time in the water.  After the Painted Cave fire that took our home when I was 13, the first thing my mom replaced was my Mach 7.7 body board and Church Hill fins.  As long as I had those, I was going to survive.  Here is a picture of me, probably 6 years old or so, on the way to the beach with my first body board.  Impatiently waiting for my mom to hurry up and get me there, so I could get in the water.


Who knew that 30 years later I would still be as passionate and as anxious to get in the water and board as I was at 6 years old.  I still love it!  People always ask me why I don't surf instead.  It's not that I don't like surfing, but I never got very good at it and never really cared to.  I just prefer to sponge.  That is what surfers always call body boarders ... Spongers ... because the board is ... well, like a sponge!  They also like to call us speed bumps .... I prefer sponger for obvious reasons :).

Recently, a neighbor gave me a bunch of new, blank t-shirts and I have been finding fun ways to re-fashion them.  I have had a silly idea for a body boarding shirt design for a long time.  It's hard to find body boarding shirts, since most brands cater to the surfer population.  I still haven't gotten all the supplies I need in order to do real screen printing, so I just did a ghetto version using modge podge, sheer fabric, and a quilting hoop.  Here is my vision come to life:


I had an idea of using the image of the women on the back of the truck flaps that you always see, but having her sitting on top of a body board with fins.  I don't know if anyone else in the world would get a kick out of this, but I do!  Probably only other "spongers" will get this, but that's ok!  I'm just happy to have the idea out of my head and onto my shirt.  Now I have the perfect shirt to slip my salty self into after getting out of the water.  I know it's a little silly, but I'm entertained and that's all that matters :)


Today, I'm dreaming of the beach.  The waves are up and although we have reports of Great Whites in the area I am still dying to get out into the water.  We had no surf for a week and then Bayne was sick all last week, so I haven't been out in two weeks.  Aubrey was sick all weekend and even though I wanted to keep her home an extra day, she was well enough to go back to school.  The thought of waves and the warm sun we have shining down on us today were helping me motivate myself to turn off the over protective parent and push her back to school.  Unfortunately, the over protective parent was right .... my little girl threw up just before we left for school.  I'm a little sad I can't get in the water today, but I'm secretly happy she gets to rest at home another day and very grateful she got sick before we left home or I ended up in the water and unable to be reached by the school.  

With Aubrey and all her medical issues it is very hard for me to turn off the "Mom" and let myself be "Erinn".  I get worried every time I paddle out. 

"What if the nurse calls?"
"What if Aubrey passes out at school and I'm boarding?"
"What if they get sick and is stuck waiting for an hour or more while I'm in the water?"
"What if Bayne gets hurt and I miss the call?"

I have a lot of worries that bounce around in my head and it's hard to turn them all off, but "Mom" does deserve a break and a chance to be "Erinn" and I have to allow myself some time to enjoy and relax and trust that they both will be ok and are safe while at school.  The ocean keeps me sane.  A sane Mom is a good Mom. :)

Tomorrow, it's on, though...

Let's Sponge Bitch!  

No comments:

Post a Comment