Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sweater Redux

I think I might have mentioned my pinterest ... um habit, lets call it.  It really is a good thing.  I have found so many fun ideas for the kids, cool organizational ideas, recipes, daydreams, and inspiration for fun, new sewing projects.

We live in a very small apartment and there is only one tiny closet between three of us.  I graciously let the kids have it for their clothes.  I hang my jackets, handmade dresses, and wet suit in there, but otherwise, whatever I have has to fit in my dresser.  The drawers are, of course, overflowing.  I am no fashionista, but I do love me some clothes!  I dropped a bit of weight over the last year, taking my size down, so I had to clean out some of the drawers to make room for clothes that fit.  Which is AWESOME, except I don't exactly have the budget for a new wardrobe.  That could really explain how I dropped a dress size to begin with!  I wasn't about to toss the clothes to good will.  After all, fabric is fabric, and I am really loving the idea of repurposing old things into new things.  

I had a white sweater that was my first victim.  I saw this picture on pinterest and it inspired me:


It's a picture of Isla Fisher in an issue of Vanity Fair's  - "Vanities Girl" 50's Pin Up photo shoot in Marilyn Monroe style.  I don't know why, but I love pin up art work.  Especially beach style pin ups.  I think they are adorable.  This modern take on pin ups is no exception.  I love her sweater.  I instantly thought of my size too big white sweater.  Although, mine doesn't have buttons and I didn't want something so fitted.  

I saw this sweater on pinterest, as well.

This sweater looks sooooooo comfy!!!!  I love it!  Casual, yet cute and a hint of sexy with the loose midriff.  I decided I'd pull a little inspiration from both sweaters.  Here is how my sweater redux turned out:



I'm no Isla Fisher, but I like the way my sweater came out.  It has a slightly tapered waistline.  It's not fitted, like Isla's, but it isn't formless, like the beige sweater.  I'm happy with the end result.  This will be super cute on a warm summer night.  Maybe not for pick up at the kids school, though ;).

Of course, I forgot to take a before picture .... D'oh!!  I do have an identical black sweater, so you can see what it looked like before, only white. 


 I think I'm going to hang onto this black one, as is.   You never know when you need a black sweater.  I bought the white sweater for a court appearance.  White is not a good color choice for me.  I feel like I should wear a bib when I eat or drink coffee because it is guaranteed to get stained.  I thought it was a good color choice for court, though, so I could look like the pure, innocent lamb I am.  

Which makes me feel even better about my decision to hot that sweater up a notch or two ;).  





No comments:

Post a Comment